I was asked to speak to a women's group in Cody last night on "Quilting as Art". I decided I needed something apropos to wear so it was obviously time to make the "Chukar" jacket that has been in the back of my mind for a while. In case you have never been lucky enough to see a chukar in person, they are a colorful member of the partridge family that was imported to the US in the early 1900's from Hungary. The idea was to give bird hunters another tasty target. We have a large population that lives on our place and we never tire of hearing their soft chuck-chuck-chuck or seeing their short red legs running to the bird feeder. They are apparently pretty frail and don't usually do well at surviving harsh winter weather but with a little help from a bird feeder and a source of water they have managed to not only survive but to thrive on our property.
The jacket started out as a simple Butterick pattern that got seriously altered to accommodate what I was trying to do. The darker fabric that makes up the top portion of the coat is very heavily quilted although it is hard to tell in the small photos at the side. The lighter fabric on the bottom was first painted then accented with free motion machine embroidery and quilting. I am happy with the outcome but wish I had made the whole thing just one size bigger. I now know that a Butterick 8 is not the same size as a Vogue 8.