Saturday, December 15, 2007

2006 Journal Quilts







I can't believe it has been a week since I last posted. Life got in the way, as it tends to do over the holidays, and the last seven days just vanished when I wasn't paying attention!
On Monday I received a phone call from the mailman saying he had a package I needed to sign for. It turned out to be my 2006 Journal Quilts, returning home after touring the country with about 1000 others of their kind for the last year. I was excited to receive them; not because I have any particular use for them at this time, but simply because I could not remember, for the life of me, what they looked like. I was thrilled to discover I still like them. It was as if I was seeing them with fresh eyes since I had them in my possession for such a short time before they left home.
The first one was my first ever attempt at painting on fabric with Dye-na-flo paints, a technique I have used extensively since in everything from large quilts to pieces of clothing.
Number 2 is colored with fabric crayons. I wasn't too thrilled with it at the time and I have only recently picked up the crayons again for another try.
The third quitlet uses a combination of paint and foil to create the pears.
The fourth piece is probably my favorite of the bunch. The dragonfly was painted with Jacquard Lumiere paints onto a polyester sheer fabric. This was then layered over a hand-dyed cotton and quilted to emphasize the shape. I still want to go back and give him a pair of crystal eyes.
The last piece was started in a class at Yellowstone Quilt Festival by Barbara Olsen. While I really like the look of it I have a hard time thinking of it as my own. This technique is so obviously Barbara and anyone who has seen her work would easily identify it as a poor knockoff of one of her masterpieces.
I will miss the Journal Quilt Project. I participated in the last five years of its existence and learned a lot along the way. I think the Fast Friday Fabric Challenge Group that I am now part of will probably go a long way to taking the place of these wonderful little exercises.

No comments: