Saturday, April 19, 2008

Bird Brains



I think I will have to change the title of this blog to "Bird Brains" if this keeps up! A couple days ago I was downstairs when I heard a loud "thump" from above. I assumed Ken had dropped something and promptly forgot about it. It wasn't until about a half hour later when I came up the stairs and saw Frank the cat sitting on the sill and making his "here birdie" noises that I realized something else had taken place. When I looked out the window I saw a beautiful red-shafted flicker perched precariously on the arm of a deck chair. He seemed aware that he was being watched but unable to do anything about it. He had obviously hit the window hard and was trying to get his wits back before attempting to fly. I got a couple good shots out the window before he made a short move to the deck railing where he sat for another two hours before feeling fit enough to flee. I hope he is okay.

It has been a strange week all around. I spent one day skiing in the Beartooths, another biking the North Fork. Ken tore a muscle in his back by trying to move a downed tree and Mom broke two ribs by tripping over a sand snake at the gym. (For those who aren't familiar with sand snakes, they are the southern equivalent of a snow snake on the ski hill; a mythical, invisible beast that slithers out and trips you when you least expect it. No one ever sees them except those whom they embarrass.) I have been trying hard to finish my Guild Challenge which means the pager has been unusually busy. We have had three Search and Rescue calls this week: a run-away, a missing person who wasn't and the last yesterday morning when I had to drive to the mountains, strap on my snowshoes and hike a 1/2 mile in to a remote cabin to tell a man his daughter tried to commit suicide, again. Of course Ken hasn't been able to participate in any of the activities which hasn't helped his disposition one bit!

1 comment:

Christine Thresh said...

That's a very good picture. I'm glad the bird dropped by, and I hope he has recovered.