This is the photo of a small - 12" x 12" - quilt I made a couple months ago as my entry into the Quilting Arts Magazine 2009 Calendar Contest. I haven't been able to show it until now because one of the contest rules was that entries be unpublished. Alas, my showing it now means it did not make the cut. I am disappointed as I really thought it had a chance. It took me as long to make as a much larger quilt because of all the details, particularly the painted pieces. I was working with a combination of paints and dyes and had to do numerous applications working with both wax and water-based resists. The piece includes a number of materials including tyvek (sun), wool (the continents), tulle (cloud), faux leather (roof) as well as a base of dyed and painted bamboo/cotton mix.
One of the deals I made with myself was that if it did not make the final round of the competition I would concentrate more on my painting for the next six months. I won't give up fabric entirely, of course, but expect to see more watercolors here this summer in place of quilts.